Wednesday, April 2, 2008


I had a moment yesterday.

But first,

I need to share a background story to set the stage.

*********************************
The Hunk thinks I look hot when I "three barrel" my hair.
For those of you who have lived on another planet
and don't know what that means,
a three barrel is like a curling iron that makes your hair wavy,
sort of like a crimper but not so 80's.
I had always borrowed my sisters irons,
but about five years ago Chris gave me one for Valentines.
We had a hot date to the movies planned
so I three barrelled my hair and was very pleased with the results,
as was he.
We had a quiet, peaceful, blissful moment at the movies
and I was feeling really cute.
As we walked out of the theater
everyone was smiling and looking at me.
"Wow, I must really look hot!"
is what I was thinking.
"People can't stop looking at me,
I've never gotten this kind of attention before,
I must really look fantastic!"
As shocking as it seemed,
because I don't normally turn heads,
the three barrel magic had morphed me into a
sexy mama!
*******************************
As we made our way out the front doors into the parking lot
something caught my eye
on my leg.
I looked down in slow motion,
and there,
stuck to my upper thigh,
was half of a BIT O' HONEY,
wrapper and all.
I must have eaten one half during the movies,
set it in my lap,
and my body heat had melted the remaining
sweetie goodness to my leg
rendering immovable
until I could be HUMBLED
and discover
that the source of the crowd onlooks were not because I was hot,
but because I had half a candybar as an accessory.
******************************
Dude, would you tell someone if they had Bit O' Honey stuck to their leg?
I totally would!
********************************
So yesterday,
I had another "Bit O' Honey" moment.
I had bought some cute sweats from Old Navy
and was very surprised to find that I only needed a size MEDIUM.
Normally I wear a large to extra large,
so again my head started to inflate as I thought my sexiness was coming back.
As I put the outfit on,
suddenly a very large spotlight from the sky
shone on the tag,
and along the top in pretty letters it read
MATERNITY.
I'm not pregnant ya'll.
But no wonder I fit into a medium,
there is an extra pouch the size of Montana to fit my baby into.
*******************
Lesson learned.
DON'T EVER THINK YOU'RE ALL THAT,
because either you're wearing maternity clothes when you're not pregnant,
or candy is stuck to your upper thigh.

15 comments:

Andrea said...

LOL! That is hilarious! That would totally happen to me, too.

onesilentwinter said...

That is funny! can't stop laughing! I have never had one of those- I am not sure if we have them here?
P.S. looking for 1980's hair crimper-yes i know- dying to do the do!

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

Oh Goodness you are the funniest, SEXIEST thing ever.. That is something that would totally happen to me. I am laughing out loud. Ashley loves her hair done in the 3 barrel..

Laura said...

I am absolutely dying! I can so see myself starting to think the same things, only to be shattered by reality. I need to look into this 3 barrel business. Thanks for making me laugh.

Holly said...

Oh Sara I totally have had the crappiest day and you seriously just made my week! I so needed a good laugh and your post got me laughing till tears came! Thank you, Thank you, I love you!
Holly

Mary Denton Taylor said...

You are awesome, you know that???? I seriously have tears in my eyes. Thank you, Sara! (Remind me to tell you about the video recorder at my sister-in-laws wedding!)

Froska said...

Yes I love it! I can't wait to see you. I will come down Friday night and spend the night. Maybe you should wear those pants we are going to eat lots of yummy food this weekend. Can't wait! Love ya!

lawdy said...

Funny, funny, funny!
I'm right there with you! Who are these small and mediums fitting?

meg 'n' rich said...

Oh my goodness, You make me laugh so hard! I have totally had moments like that. Thanks for posting it so that we all can feel a little more normal during our embarrassing moments! You're the best.

Jennifer said...

Pha!!! Ha ha ah aPHa hahah!!! Your so funny. Sara I think you need to write books. The way you write and tell stories.. I just start reading and cant stop. Let's just say that if you wrote books I would be your number one fan. Also I loved the part about "spending a day with my mom". Seriously you have a gift.

marisa said...

I love it! You make me laugh! I am so sad I missed your giveaway!

Amanda said...

There are tears coming down my face right now because I can laughing so hard. I can hardly type! Oh my. Girl, you got sexiness bit o honey and all!

But, next time you need a snack, maybe you should go for something else???

P.S. I remember the first time I ever heard of Old Navy. It was when we were up at Rick's and you were wearing a sweatshirt from there. They hadn't quite made it to the SLC yet and I thought you were so fashion forward!

Amanda said...

I just had my sister read this outloud to me because I wanted her to read it and I wanted to hear it again. Crying again. Thank you again for writing this.

Jaimie said...

The Bit-O-Honey is my favorite story that you tell and now the maternity story...you're killin' me smalls!

Celia said...

This is such a great post because it's so true! We have a saying in our family that my grandmother used to say to my mom when she was taking her looks WAY too seriously and lucky for us, my mom has been nice enough to bestow it upon us when vanity strikes, "What makes you think you're so hot everybody's going to be checking you out anyway?" Harsh, but oh so true!