Tuesday, April 15, 2008

image from Threadbared

To be loyal to the readers that I can count on one hand,
I have decided to do a new thing
called...
BLAST FROM THE PAST.
*****
On days where I have too much to do,
(like today where I'm dealing with a toddler who has pooping issues,
and is calling me from downstairs on the toilet
where I have banished him until he "goes")
or when the creative well has run dry,
I will just post something I've written in the past.
*****
For some family members,
who make up most of my readers,
this will be deja vu, try to just deal with it,
I love you all the same.
*****
For the rest of you,
all two of you,
it will be like magic!
Thoughtful tidbits created in the past,
for your enjoyment in the present,
that you can forget you read in the future.
Wow, that wasn't as deep as it sounded in my head.
************************************************
**BLAST FROM THE PAST**
TOP TEN
circa March 14 2007
*************
A GOOD DELI SANDWICH-
the perfect balance of soft oven baked bread,
thinly sliced "ungoogely" meat,
fresh crunchy veggies like lettuce and cucumber,
red juicy tomatoes, firm yet creamy avocadoe,
something sour like pickles or banana peppers,
soft pungent cheese, tangy mustard with a hint of mayo and vinegar,
and to top it off, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground pepper.
Mmmmmmmmmmm,
let the salivation commence!
************
SMELLS OF THE EARTH-
the smell of asphalt after a fresh rain,
the wift of an exotic flower, or newly cutgrass.
Anything smelling of life is better than the deadness of winter-
except recess kid sweat,
or husband four-wheeling smell for that matter.
Spring....bring it on!
************
SEQUINS-
there is something about a childs
unsightely spandex dance costume
that is made all better by the trimmings of sparkly,
mesmerizing sequins-oh the possibilities!
***********
THIS QUOTE-
"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits,
the rebels, the trouble makers,
the round pegs in the square holes...
the ones who see things differently --
they're not fond of rules...
You can quote them, disagree with them,
glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do
is ignore them because they change things...
they push the human race forward,
and while some may see them as the crazy ones,
we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough
to think that they can change the world,
are the ones who do."
-Steve Jobs
***************
THE SOUND OF COWBELLS,
CASTANETS, AND BONGOS-
any song including one of these elements
is sure to get your heart fluttering with rhythmic palpatations.
Examples-
Bongos- Young Folks by Peter Bjorn and John,
you have to wait until the the chorus to hear them,
but the whistling is totally worth it!
Cowbell- none other than Don't Fear the Reaper
by The Blue Oyster Cult.
Castanets- Little Darlin' by The Diamonds,
an oldie, but good for washing the car to.
************
KISSING SOFT CHUBBY CHEEKS-
of a two year old
after they get out of the tub.
(I'm such a mom)
***********
DRIVING WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN-
on an old dirt road
past an abandoned house
with stunning architectural elements
like great single pane windows,
rotting wood, chippy paint moldings,
disheveled rusty metal in the yard, creepiness lurking inside,
and black ravens flying overhead.
I can just see the doll head missing one eye lying on the kitchen floor,
or the stash of a million dollars
hidden in the loose brick of the fireplace.
(We were dropping off a load at the dump
the other day and I asked Chris if he would be embarassed
if I got out and started looking for stuff...
I have no shame.)
***************
PLUMP FROZEN GRAPES-
better than any popsicle,
just try to stop at 10.
The feel of the cold skin popping between your teeth
followed by juicy grape goodness is bliss.
*************
I have been known to laugh out loud at this website.
You must go back through the archives to see and read
the precious gems. Sure to bring a smile to your face,
definitely my kind of humor.
***********
THE ART OF SANNA ANNUKKA-
first discovered her Nordic style on the cover
of the Keane album. Very clean, colorful, and imaginative.
I wish she would do a mural in my house.

10 comments:

SmithDish said...

Hey I bet you want to sit by us every sunday during sacrament.:) Really enjoyed your Maggie Taylor artist, she reminds me a bit o Frida Kahlo, it is quite poetic. And I am loving Emmilie Simon, Wow so quirky yet lovely and artistic. I can appreciate the flowers growing out of her arms, I would be so much more interesting if I could do that. Do you download or buy cd's. How can I aquire? Thanks for the inspiration. Laurie

Rachel said...

I found the cutest website you have to look at. It has children's decor. They have a bohemian garden table. I thought of you the second I saw it and you have to check out their canvas paintings. rosenberryrooms.com

Mary Denton Taylor said...

All I can say is - AMEN, SISTER! Love reading your writing Sara!

onesilentwinter said...

UMH! Ya just like that! I am excited for this new "feature" One time I almost passed out whe a makeup artist was putting on my makeup because i forgot to breathe- the same thing almost happened just now-read it in one breath........you make me smile sara!

Jennifer said...

Wow Sara! You never cease to amaze me. I love reading your stuff. I loved the quote you put in there as well. The way you describe things and say things are so beautiful. Also the thoughts that cross your mind are so relaxing. Is that the right word for it? It's just that I'll have another crazy long day and it's nice to be able to remember things in life that are so good. Sometimes I forget to look around me and see everything that is beautiful. So thank you Sara. Your amazing! You should write a book and put your thoughts in it. Wouldn't it be cool if down the road for book club we were reading one of your books?! Love ya!

Sami Volcansek said...

I LOVE top tens! nothing better! Oh, my creative hero, I need your help...please! I would like to have a photo for my header and don't know how to go about changing it...can you please offer your sage advice? Thanks for updating your blog all the time, it is so fun to see where a little piece of your mind is!

corine said...

Lovely and fun blog. I'm glad you stopped by my blog. I will definitely come back to visit. The picture of German pancakes were enough to win me over!

Karly said...

Well said! I love it

SmithDish said...

Yes! count me in on Friday. What can I bring I am excited to make somthing fun? is it at 12:00? I am assuming. I am totally a lady who will be lunching at your cute, clean house.

~Amanda~ said...

I may not always comment, but I'm here reading your blog. I'll try to comment more. I love reading you!!!