Saturday, March 8, 2008

"Little House on the Prairie" by SakuraMitsukai


I have been cooped up in the house for a few months. My girls nights out have been sparse because we took a little hiatus from card group- (which will resume at the end of the month- thank goodness because my scissors and glue sticks are itching to be used and I miss the girls) and the 3 book clubs I used to frequent have also claimed me M.I.A.. I use to feel greedy about my nights out, but I realize since I haven’t had any, that they are key and crucial to keeping this Mama sane.

How did the pioneer women do it stuck on the frontier? That’s probably why they were always gathered at the general store buying calico fabrics for the one dress they would wear all year and buying licorice sticks for the wee ones. It was their moment to get out of the cabin and gossip with other homely homemakers and about how old man Jenkins hit the bottle again or how the harvest will be tough because of the drought that year. They would size up each others lace and button details on their frocks, and give each other hugs of support and comfort when times were rough. Have things really changed so much in 150 years?

Today I have a twenty dollar bill in my pocket, and I’m going to run away to Salt Lake (land of plenty), and I’m going to buy me something fun, and go to all my favorite places, and get inspired, and breath air that hasn’t been recirculating in my home for 6 months, and tow the baby Leprechaun around in his pirate booties, and maybe grab a yummy sweet from my favorite bakery (The Normandy), and have a couple moments to myself to think about Sara stuff, and blast My weird and wonderful music in the strange smelling mini van.

Then, when my money has run out, and the sun is ready to set, and the reality of my family waiting for me back at home has set in, and I am jolted with the reminder that I have to teach 10 boisterous children in Sunbeam class tomorrow, and I have to clean clothes for the kids to wear to church, and the dishes that were left in the sink are beckoning my name- I will hurry home where my children and the Hunk will be anxiously waiting on the porch lined with colorful balloons and they will present me with armfuls of roses and chocolates. With teary eyes they will profess their undying love and appreciation for me and ask me never to leave again because the world stops spinning when I’m not around. I will graciously take a bow, cook them dinner, tidy up the house, tuck them in bed, and then marvel at my wonderful and rich life.

We’ll see if today really turns out this way.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I was so feeling the same need to get out and breath "fresh" air today. Only my get away included the 3 girls. Still, it was good to get out and about, we bought Easter dresses at the mall. Fun times, I hope you had a fun day.

Andrea said...

Oh, the life of a mother! I recently read a short story about a mother who ran away to San Francisco for a few weeks and stayed in the Ritz Carlton. I was tempted.

Rachel said...

The Pioneers were wonderful and inspiring but I'm so grateful I wasn't one.
You deserve the balloons, roses and chocolates.

Mama Megs said...

I just love to pull up your blog and read your little narratives. I think you should try to be a freelance writer or something. You are super talented. It could be like Twilights nemisis or something!

Lisa said...

Did it go as planned? Can't wait to see you in SLC! We can visit all of your hot spots if you like, and you don't even have to do it alone!

Mary Denton Taylor said...

RIGHT ON!!!! Power to the mother!

Celia said...

I'm curious to hear how your day went.

I've been planning a day like that for what seems like months now. For some strange and perplexing reason, it hasn't happened yet. But I'm not giving up. Oh no, I won't go down without a fight.